Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Being a Connected Educator

“When you find something interesting, it often leads to someone interesting and that someone often leads to entire networks of interesting people.” –Howard Rheingold (Read the entire article here.)

That quote summarizes my biggest takeaway this week and is most definitely a piece of advice that will guide everything I do as a connected educator.

Last week I participated in my first Google Hangout with Jennifer Houlette, a 4th grade teacher at Southeast Polk and Jamie Fath, my instructor for this course and tech integrationist at Southeast Polk. First and foremost, I learned how a Google Hangout works and will most definitely be participating in one again!

Jen had a lot to share about her journey to becoming a connected educator. She used Twitter as her gateway to becoming connected and then started a blog after that. I see myself following her same path. I started a professional Twitter account (@abcsofmsstakey) in December. I have begun connecting with educators and tweeting about moments that are applicable or influential to me as a pre-service teacher. The blog I have created for the class will gradually morph into my blog for student teaching and then further into my blog for my classroom.

My biggest takeaway from the Google Hangout with Jen was her belief that learning should go beyond the walls of the classroom, making learning more authentic and meaningful. She challenged us to model this type of learning for our students in our own lives by being a connected educator. She also encouraged us to create opportunities for our students to connect by blogging, Skyping, etc. with other classrooms. She described her students’ blogs as “show and tell with the world.”

I learned the most about Personal Learning Networks (PLN) through the video with Dr. Alec Couros. He explained that "the technology tools we use will come and go, but the relationships we form using these tools are what matter."

He challenged us to use technology not just for following people, but to go beyond the connection and create a memorable moment with them. He encouraged us to build a relationship that we’re willing to continue on other tools when our current tools disappear. I connected this to my professional Twitter account I have. Many of the people or organizations I am following are just because we share a common social networking tool. I am only using Twitter to follow them. When I attended the Waukee PLAYdate, however, I met many teachers there and follow them on Twitter as well. I have formed a connection with them and have a memorable moment or interaction that will cause me to connect with them again on other tools.   

One last piece that was powerful to me was when he said, “Make your learning visible and notice how you are contributing to the learning of others.” Through my blog posts and tweets, I am making my learning visible by sharing my insights and musings. To transform my digital footprint, I should be sure to use my blog to also contribute to the learning of others.

I am very passionate about being and becoming a more connected educator. This week was the most applicable to my future as a teacher than any other week. I look forward to seeing where I will be a year from now as a connected educator.  

5 comments:

  1. Courtney, great blog post! I agree that Jen had some great ideas about how to be a true connected educator. I also love how you took the initiative to create a professional Twitter account to start building those professional connections yourself! Thanks for sharing! - Hailey Walker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,

    I absolutely love your set up of your blog page. It is very visually appealing and easy to navigate. I was wondering if you have enjoyed having a professional twitter? Have you ever thought of joining an Iowa Ed Chat on Twitter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my post, Erin! I have really enjoyed my professional Twitter account. It has allowed me to connect with other educators as well as start building my digital footprint professionally by showcasing my teaching philosophy and work! I followed my first #edchat tonight. I learned a lot but think I prefer more focused chats like #kidscancode.

      Delete
  3. Are you on Twitter? One of the best ways to become a connected teacher is to build your learning network on Twitter. Please connect with me there if you are. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on Twitter and agree it's a wonderful resource! Follow me: @abcsofmsstakey

      Delete