Tuesday, February 3, 2015

SAMR Evaluation

(Jamie Fath lecture, 2015) 

“Teaching above the line” is often used when discussing SAMR. I think this is an important concept because it pushes teachers to take technology use to that next level. Just as the image shows, teaching above the line transforms learning with the use of the technology tool. This model helps support teachers as they design and integrate the use of the technology. When teaching above the line, student engagement becomes more of the focus, pushing students to "transform" their learning. In my opinion, this is exactly why technology should exist and reasons why integration can help take student learning to that next level.

Depending on the age group, SAMR is a good model for teachers to use when discussing technology use with students. As a future Early Childhood Education teacher, I do not foresee myself using this terminology with my students, as it is nowhere near developmentally appropriate. Even when finding words that would make sense to them, I have a hard time seeing this as a concept that even really needs to be discussed. Perhaps I should challenge myself to incorporate this into my classroom to take my students' technology understanding to that next level. When it comes to older students, this could be incredibly beneficial, as they would have a greater understanding of the purposes of technology and its different uses.

SAMR relates to Grounded Technology Integration as I would say each of the five steps of Grounded Technology Integration consider SAMR.

The five steps of Grounded Technology Integration:
1.     Choose learning goals.
2.     Make pedagogical decisions.
3.     Select activity types to combine.
4.     Select assessment strategies.
5.     Select tools/resources. 
(Harris & Hofer, 2009)

SAMR really focuses on Step 5, select tools and resources, but it includes steps 1-4 in deciding how beneficial the tool is and what purpose it is serving. 

I evaluated the Arizona Technology Integration Matrix, also known as TIM. This matrix considers the level of technology integration into the curriculum, which I would say is where SAMR falls, with characteristics of the learning environment. SAMR has more of a technology-driven feel to it with the underlying emphasis that when "teaching above the line," student engagement and learning will be increase. 

I like how TIM considers the characteristics of a learning environment when considering technology integration. I also appreciate the resources that come along with it. It is a lot more extensive, so if I lacked knowledge or experience with technology, it would be a great resource as a teacher. I appreciate how SAMR is short and to the point. It serves as a quick self-evaluation of my integration of technology use. That being said, there are a few gray areas that come along with SAMR while TIM is a matrix of 25 cells, making it more cut and dry.

These both relate back to TPACK as technology will never reach its full potential if content knowledge and pedagogy are not considered first and then successfully intertwined together with technology. To me, SAMR and TIM are useless without considering TPACK when integrating technology. TIM and SAMR are useful resources when it comes to integrated technology as long as content knowledge and pedagogy are always considered when choosing tools.

Articles and websites contributing to my reflection and opinions: 


No comments:

Post a Comment