Wednesday, January 28, 2015

TPACK Framework

It is important for teachers to understand the concepts of the TPACK framework because almost everything artificial we use is technology (Mishra and Koehler, 2009). What we teach and how we teach it matters. When using technology, this is no exception. In fact, for effective technology implementation, it is crucial to success.

In order to keep up with today’s technology, a new kind of knowledge is necessary (Mishra and Koehler, 2009). All three parts of the TPACK framework (technology, pedagogy, content knowledge) must be integrated together.

As a technology intern at an elementary school I have seen how TPACK will impact me as a future educator. I have also encountered many teachers who are challenged by the new technology and the accompanied new way of thinking. They have often had bad experiences with technology which leads to their discomfort or even their unwillingness to try new things. Many teachers do not feel like they are sufficiently prepared to use these new tools (Mishra and Koehler, 2009). Most often, I hear that they simply just do not have time.

As a future educator, I know the negative connotations that many teachers associate with technology. I could very well be placed on a teacher team or even a district who is not ready to move forward. I can use what I have learned by receiving my Tech minor and apply it to my future career. Although I am more comfortable with technology compared to many, I also know that I do not know it all. I am willing to learn.

I know that as an educator, I must be able to repurpose technology to fit the educational needs of my students (Mishra and Koehler, 2009). I need to remember that technology is not one size fits all. Neither is content knowledge or pedagogy. Combing all three components will be crucial to successful technology integration.

My biggest takeaway was from Learning and Leading with Technology article. “Teachers need to develop a willingness to play with technologies and an openness to building new experiences for students so that fun, cool tools can be educational” (Mishra and Koehler, 2009). I plan to be this type of educator.


No comments:

Post a Comment